Thursday, February 03, 2005

Totally Tim - not quite ready for a bicycle made for two.

You know it really means a lot when you abandon your blog for months on end, to find that message waiting for you when you eventually check it again. Even if the message just says something simple like “Update lar!”. Of course I have had friends message me over MSN and stuff telling me that but it really does put a smile on my face to see it in the guestbook. Aw! You care.

Thanks.

Happy New Year. I haven’t quite figured out if it’s been a happy one so far or if it’s going to turn out to be a happy one. But then again, what defines happiness anyway? If it just means the lack of unhappiness, then yeah I’ll settle for that.

I realized for the longest time, that I was quite the moody bastard, especially toward the end of the year. Hence I’m going to make a conscious (perhaps even unconscious depending on how much I’ve had to drink) effort not to repeat that phase anytime soon. After all, I’ve already heard life being described enough as a pill. No need to make it even harder to swallow.

Although sometimes I do figure maybe I need more of a life anyway. I’m desperately trying to grab more pills. Damn that child-proof cap!

So what’s been happening you ask? It’s a rhetorical question by the way. I’m just assuming you want to know. Interestingly enough, at 27 years of age, I still haven’t learnt the difference between ‘assume’ and ‘presume’.

I resumed my extremely long drawn out quest at attaining a driver’s license recently. Especially after I found out my basic theory certificate was dated 1995. Wow! How many other people do you know took a decade between taking the first step and actually getting their license? Once again, a rhetorical question. I feel enough of a loser already.

So I’ve got a date set. 9th of March. That’s just slightly over a month from now. For the longest time I was always trying to figure out why it took eons to score a test date. I mean, if they conduct numerous tests a day, everyday at a number of driving centers, the process should be much faster. After all I don’t think that many people in Singapore are taking lessons anyway. At least I don’t think so.

Then I realized. That’s cos many people take a number of tests before they actually pass. That means a bunch of zero’s are wasting everybody else’s time by perpetually failing and having to retake tests, using slots which should rightly belong to those who are trying to take the test for the first time. At least that’s what I think. Perhaps priority should be given to first time takers.

Now I realize that I may be setting myself up for a huge embarrassment by scoffing, especially before I take my test. After all, I might end up one of those aforementioned zeros who fails his test and will have to retake it. I’ve proven time and time again how Tragic the Timothean Trail already is. Still, C’mon, how hard can it be for some people?

Strangely enough, I also quickly learnt the answer to that question on my last lesson. Yes Siree! Yours truly got involved in an accident. I can still imagine the shock on that poor girls face at the point of impact. You can imagine the expression on mine……especially since my car was stationary at the time.

Hey I never said I was the one who caused the accident. But back to the point I was making earlier about how hard was it to pass your driving test. This unfortunate soul who collided into my car was taking her test at the time. In fact she bumped into my rear (of car that is) 3 minutes into her test, barely 50 meters from where she got into the car and started.

What’s worse, she was driving her private instructor’s car and not the center’s. I doubt he was too pleased at the damage. Needless to say, I think she also failed her test. If anything, I’m quite glad that my first accident didn’t turn out to be my fault. I’m even gladder that she’s still a pedestrian and not playing bumper cars with humans. I wonder if they immediately pass me on default if on my test date someone else causes an accident and crashes into me through no fault of mine.

So another note. Chinese New Year’s coming up. Considering there are so many Chinese people spread out around the world, I wonder if people will be wishing each other “Happy Chinese New Year” everywhere. Although I’m fairly certain that in China, they just say “Happy New Year”.

As of late I’ve already started feeling the pressure with so many people around me getting married. Especially when those people are my age or younger. I mean I’m not looking to get married anytime soon. I just don’t like being part of a minority. You see, we all have this constant counter in our heads as we go through our lives. Team Hitched and Team Single. Classmate gets married. Click! One for the other team. Cousin gets hitched. Click! Another for the visiting team. Neighbors down the street get a divorce. Click! One for the home team. Neighbor’s wife just happens to be real hot. Click! Yeah but that’s for another counter completely.

Anyway the point is, before long you realize that Team Single is getting smaller and smaller and that’s no fun at all. Cos you also realize that the more couples getting married, the less there are of normal attractive chicks for us. Especially when you’re desperately waiting for the next batch to hurry up and ripen.

It’s even worse on Chinese New Year where the custom is for the married to give out money filled red packets to the singles. You can sense the reluctance when they still have to give you an ‘ang pow’.

“What! You’re older than us! Why aren’t you married yet? Why do we have to give you money?!!” They don’t actually say it. But it’s all in the eyes. Hehe.

On that note. It’s time for me to tuck into bed with my girlfriend. Plastic doesn’t blow itself up you know.

Happy New Year once again. Have a good one.

~Totally Tim – I hate to inflate my date.

1 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rotflmao!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home