Thursday, February 24, 2005

Tims Just Wanna Have Fun! It’s just a matter of who with.

Just a week after the insufferable occasion known as Valentine’s Day, we get to celebrate the last day of Chinese New Year celebrations. However I just recently learnt that not only does the 15th day mark the end of getting anymore red packets, but it also happens to be the Chinese Valentine’s Day.

Yet another proverbial kick when you’re down. Down being the excruciating circumstance of being single. It official then. All my compadres seem to be happily attached to their other halves leaving this Asian Gringo riding the lonely horse into the sunset.

It’s weird how life works out. A few years ago, I was the guy perpetually stuck in a relationship amidst all my single friends. It was hard for me to always have to choose between spending time with my loved one, and doing the whole bonding thing with my single buddies.

Here I am now with all the time in the world to hang out or head out on road trips with my mates, but this time they’ve got the obligations which come with relationships. Thus leaving me in either in need of finding new single friends, or begin the transformation into the perpetual 3rd wheel.

Which leads to my next point. I’ve always thought it quite impossible to be really close to friends who are married. After all, marriage really does change a person’s life. It comes with new responsibilities and new problems which singles will never rally fathom until the time comes for them to slip that piece of metal on their fingers.

That being said, does that also apply to friendships between singles and unmarried couples? I mean sure you can still be friends, but can you really be that close anymore?

I mean it’s a little unnerving, when you invite a few buddies out and they automatically assume their other halves are invited too. I mean I’m not saying that I don’t like nor accept their partners, but maybe I don’t want to be the only single person there.

There’ll always be things you won’t feel comfortable doing or discussing in front of them. And walking on egg-shells never makes for a conducive bonding environment.

So the next time, your friends invite you out. Be considerate. At least ask if your girlfriends or boyfriends are invited. Or better still, just take it upon yourself to spend some solo time with your mates.

I learnt a long time ago - Remember your friends. Because 9 out of 10 times, they’ll be the ones that are still there when those relationships crumble to dust. And if your friends are anything like me, they’ve got a real, real good memory. We’ll Forgive…..but it’s the Forgetting, we’ll always have a problem with.

The holding of grudges has no place in a friendship. The insertion of one doesn’t either.

I don’t want to end this entry sounding like a bitter, resentful single guy. I enjoy my single-hood. It feels good not always having to take another half into consideration in whatever I do. I feel freer than I’ve been in a long time. And the last thing I want, is to get attached just so I can go on double dates and hang out with my pals and their girlfriends. It’s all too Tupperware sounding for my liking.

Still, singles always have more fun with other singles and never with couples.

~Totally Tim – Typically Terrified of Tie-Ups

“I’d rather be alone for the right reasons than with someone for the wrong ones” – Eric Stolz – Some Kind Of Wonderful (1987).

2 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asian Gringo huh?


You are pretty white for a Chinese guy ;)

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and by the way, you'd better still be friends with me after I get married.

Cos you KNOW I'm calling you all drunk and shit if I get divorced!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home